Friday, February 1, 2019

A life, well-lived / Happenings In The Outhouse 01-Feb-2019

Have you ever read an obituary?

I have--I know, morbid huh?  Most obituaries are nothing more than a cold recitation of facts about one's life, a list of living relatives, and who preceded in death before them.  But every once and a while I come across ones that make me pause.  It could be the same listing of facts, but written in such a way--with a bit of humorous flair, perhaps--that make me smile.  It could also be that their list of accomplishments seem vast when compared to mine.  In fact, those are the times when I feel like such a loser when compared to them.

But I shouldn't though.  Everyone's life is different, no matter what age they leave this earth.

Today's post was originally going to have a different slant on a completely different topic--reviews.  But I will save that for another day.  The reason is my grandfather (my mother's Dad) is on, what my Mom she calls, his final journey in this life.  He is 95 and, up to this point, has been the product of good health.  Sure, he's had some bad spells here and there, but overall he was doing fine.  Lately, however, he has taken a turn for the worse.

Reflecting on his life (at this point, he is still alive and kicking, but all of his children are around him, caring for him 24/7) he is the epitome of a well-lived life.  One does not have to cure cancer or invent some doohickey that changed the world in order to have a well-lived life.  I will obviously be sad once my grandpa passes away.

But at the same time I will rejoice.  Rejoice at his life, well-lived.

Reflect on your own life.  Live a full life, starting at no matter what age.  So many wish for retirement days to be right around the corner, then kick the bucket with nothing to show for it.  Find your purpose.

Find what defines your life, well-lived.  Not a well-lived life.  But life, well-lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment