Friday, July 13, 2018

Stealth publishing / Happenings In The Outhouse 13-July-2018

I was watching a video lesson from a well-established writer the other night and he explained his method of publishing--transitioning from traditional to indie--over the past number of years he has termed: stealth publishing.

I love this term!  This completely describes what I have been doing as well.

It boggles my mind how many authors will write a handful of books, promoting these books like crazy, and then . . . they vanish.  Why?  There are a multitude of reasons, from dwindling sales (after a large sales spike) to not writing the next book to changing their focus on "writing courses" to spending too much time on promoting rather than writing to not learning to write . . .

I view my publishing business in the long-term.  I also am not beholden to my royalties to keep food on the table.  I have a full-time job for that.  Do I have sales spikes?  You betcha!  I do sell books.  Maybe not Rowling or King level, but then again very few are at that level.

Stealth publishing, in my opinion, is quietly putting your work out there and not promoting until you have a number of books in the backlog.

I do post sales links when I publish a new book, but for now that's about it.

You may criticize this approach and I'm okay with it.  All writers are different, and this one works well for me.

So, you can criticize all you want.  All I'll do is shrug, put my head down, and write . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment