Friday, January 27, 2017

The anatomy of a jerk / Happenings In The Outhouse 27-Jan-2017

The harsh title of this post may give some pause, but go with me for a bit.

A few weeks ago, I felt like my entire childhood was torn into shreds.  An actor, who played in prominent role in a series of movies that came out when I was young, came out very publically and trashed someone, even going so far as to call him a "loser."

I apologize ahead of time as I will be very cryptic on who the actor was and who the other person he trashed was.  The point of this piece is simply: don't be a jerk.

I find it distressing when (some) people become more and more popular, they feel like they can spread their message values to everyone, despite whom it may hurt or if it aligns with the values of their fans.  Now, if your entertainment platform has always been of a certain nature, I'm not speaking of them.  For example, for those who like the liberal nature of Ed Schultz or the conservative nature of Rush Limbaugh, Ed and Rush will not change as their entire platform is based on their political views.

Now, some of my favorite authors and actors do hold different values than myself, which I am okay with (not everyone should think alike), but the emergence of social media has made their views more and more public.  Especially the vile comments.

I honestly don't have a solution, except this: no matter how famous or public your life is, remember that not everyone thinks the way you do.  In fact, others may have a different set of values, but still love the work you produce.

In other words, don't be a jerk to them.  Or anyone.  Period.

Okay, rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment