Friday, January 8, 2016

Jessica Jones vs. Star Wars: The Force Awakens / Happenings In The Outhouse 08-Jan-2016

The Saturday after Christmas, I took my three kids to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens at a movie theater in East Grand Forks, North Dakota.  The first two shows were sold out, but we were one of the first ones to see it for the next one.

I won't do a formal review of the movie (there's plenty of that out there as it is, good and bad and indifferent) but I will say this.  I loved it.  My three kids talked about it non-stop all the way home.  Hats off to J. J. Abrams.  What he did to Star Wars is what he also did to Star Trek.  He made the movie franchise for each series fun again.  Into Darkness is my favorite Star Trek movie next to The Wrath of Khan.

Yes, I loved the new Star Wars movie and am disappointed so many people have ripped on it.

Well, here's one for you.  The same people ripping The Force Awakens have also been praising the Netflix series Jessica Jones.  Again, no formal review, but I will simply say it was boring and it just wasn't right for me.  The last 3-4 episodes were mildly entertaining but that's it.  It took me over a month to slog my way through it.

Not every movie or TV show or book or work of art is for everyone.  Critics will line up to spew their opinion.

Frankly, I don't give a damn what you think.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and most of the time I keep it to myself.  Star Wars isn't for everyone.  However, there are people who don't normally watch science fiction or fantasy movies, will watch Star Wars and love it.

The same goes with Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, or even Harry Potter.  The masses love these movies/books.  Instead of criticizing them, find out what it is that people love about them.

Again, it may not be for you.  And that's okay.

But not everything you like is for others either.

As an aside, the first draft of the third thriller novel in the Central Division Series is complete.  I will keep you informed as I am temporarily slating this for publication by the end of January 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment