Wednesday, September 17, 2014

8 ways to get into the mood (to write)

Artists, especially writers, talk about "finding the muse" which means finding the inspiration or motivation to create something from nothing.

Someone recently told me they were having troubles starting their daily writing, like for the first 10 minutes or so.  They wanted some advice.  Now, I gave it to them, and I want to expand on that notion here.

Here is a list of things you can do to help get the juices flowing:

1) just write - even if it's crap, sitting down to write anything is better than nothing

2) go for a walk

3) go for a drive

4) read the last few pages you had written the previous day, to get a feel for where the story is going

5) drink a cup of coffee (or tea)

6) meditate

7) take a cold shower

8) exercise

This list is by no means complete--lists typically never are.  This is just what I could come up with off the top of my head.

Feel free to comment on how you get the creative juice flowing.

Also, don't forget to sign up for my newsletter, for the latest updates on future publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment