Monday, December 26, 2011

Writing in your strengths

Your child comes home with their report card. On it are three As, three Bs, one C, and an F. Which one do you focus on?

If you're like me, you'd probably say ,"What the hell did you get an F in? How are you going to fix that?"

Now this may be fine, great, and dandy, but what one should be asking is: "What did you get the As in? How can we help you to focus more of your energy in that area?"

Too many of us are focused on our weaknesses. Even in job interviews, don't you just dread it when the interviewer asks what your greatest weakness is? I do.

The same goes with our writing. Some writers are great with dialogue--just read anything by J. D. Salinger and you'll be amazed by his dialogue. Others are great with descriptions and elegant prose. Anne Rice fits the bill on that one.

In my writers' group, the members have always said to me how natural my dialogue sounds. It's something I work on very hard, even saying it out loud so that it does sound natural, so for me that's a strength I'll continue to work on. Not that I won't work on others, because I will.

What is your writing strength?

Descriptions?

Dialogue?

Character development?

Building suspense?

Hooks?

Plot twists?

Find out what it is that you're good at, and work on building your strengths into the powerhouses they're meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment