Friday, September 10, 2021

Distractions / Happenings In The Outhouse 10-Sept-2021

Someone recently asked if they were distracting me from my work--my writing, that is, not my day job.

It is good to know what distracts you, what holds you back from achieving your dreams, and what doesn't.  Each person is different.  For some, it has to be absolutely quiet in order for them to concentrate on their project.  Or they have to be sitting in a certain place.  Or they need to be drinking their favorite beverage.  Maybe a fair amount of ambient noise is necessary.

Knowing what causes you to procrastinate will lead your further down the path of success.  If social media alerts distract you, remove all notifications while working on your dreams.  If the sound of classical music or country music or heavy metal helps spark the imagination, then by all means let it play.

I have been blessed to be able to shift in and out of what others would see as distractions.  When I used to work in an actual office, I'd bring my laptop or notebook or printed stories to work on while on lunches and breaks.  The noise around me didn't bother me.  Neither does the TV when I'm at home, sitting at the table, pouring my heart and soul into the latest creation.

What does distract me is more internal.  Sometimes I can control it.  Other times, not so much.

So when it was asked if they were distracting me . . . my answer was clearly no.

But that's me knowing me.

Know thyself . . . and the truth will set you free.

No comments:

Post a Comment