Friday, March 26, 2021

Imperfection Written In Stone / Happenings In The Outhouse 26-March-2021

I'm taking a slight diversion today as I am continuing the final edits to my latest work in progress.

Last weekend, I visited my wife's gravesite.  I've done this many times, and once we got the headstone last summer I had solar lights set up to see it at night.  It's a beautiful sight.

Anyway, I've read the words on the front and back many times before, but this time I spotted something different.  A typo.

In the book of 1 Corinthians, chapter 13, starting at verse 4 it reads: "Love is patient . . ."  Well, on the headstone, it reads: "Love is paitient . . ."  It was at that moment that I could feel my wife's arm looping through mine, as she did numerous times before her passing.  I chuckled, and I'm positive she did too.  You see, in life we're striving so hard to be perfect, even though it's a feat we can never achieve.  Only one who has ever walked this earth has ever been perfect, and that is the Son of Man, Christ Jesus Himself.  Not even the likes of Billy Graham or Mother Teresa could ever achieve perfection.

But there it was, an imperfection written forever in stone.  In life, there are so many issues that are much bigger and more important than a simple typo.  The typo will act as a reminder not to take trivial issues like that too seriously, that we as humankind should strive to be as best as we can to one another.

I did look at the correspondence between myself and the funeral home last year and, sure enough, I approved the headstone--typo and all.  Oh, well.  My bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment