Friday, January 1, 2021

Legal issues and traditional publishing / Happenings In The Outhouse 01-Jan-2021

Take a moment and search the following on your favorite search engine browser: Alan Dean Foster and Disney.  Then do a little reading.  It's quite the rabbit hole.  Don't worry, I'll wait . . .

Done?  Good.  What are your immediate thoughts?  Distain toward the house of mouse?  Head-shaking toward an author who has written much in universes they didn't create (and still writing) and they should just move on with the money they've been given?  Indifference to both sides?

Keep in mind, this is just one author who is being messed over by traditional publishing.  I've read other articles where there are numerous others in this mess too.  When you peel back the layers of the corporate onion, this is what may happen when companies are bought and sold like cattle on the market.  Not everyone benefits in a positive way.

Now, first and foremost, I'm not an attorney and I sure as heck don't play one on TV, so I won't lay out all of the legal issues at play here.  That being said, the conglomerate involved in this should be absolutely ashamed of themselves--my opinion, of course.  Your opinion may differ.  Nothing screams corporate greed more than this--and I, for one, am a fan of capitalism, but this is just plain shitty.  Again, just my opinion.

When I told my youngest daughter what was done to Mr. Foster, she asked me, "What if Disney wanted you to publish a story?  Would you do it?"

Good question.  A challenging one too.  My answer: it depends on the contract and the money attached to it.

Go back to that same search engine and, this time, look up: friends (plus) residual checks.  One of the top hits states that the cast of the TV show Friends make several millions of dollars each year in residuals, from reruns.  Then, when you look at other TV series, even some of your favorites, the cast members in those do not share in the same residuals.

Why?

Answer: it depends on their contract.

My point in all this is simple: those who are in control seems to hold most of the money.  Keep as much control of your own work as possible.  If you want to license it away, educate yourself get proper legal advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment