Friday, August 23, 2019

Don't fear the blank canvas / Happenings In The Outhouse 23-Aug-2019

I love all stages of the writing process, from the idea stage to the moment I publish.  Including what many call the messy middle.

Right now, I'm in the first few pages of a new YA book.  I've never written YA before--more specifically, anything geared directly at the YA (young adult) market--and so far I am loving the challenge.

The first draft of any story is like a painter standing in front of a blank canvas.  And for a writer, the opening pages are an even more blank canvas than the further along in the book you go.  By the time you near the end, the canvas is pretty much done.

This story isn't part of any series and all of the characters are new.

For some, the opening pages are frightening and have a difficult time moving forward.  I strongly urge you to plow through it.  You can always go back and delete something if it doesn't fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment